Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
1. Make sure you have the proper foods available at home following your surgery. Liquids (fruit juices, dietary supplement like Carnation Instant Breakfast or Ensure, milk, and water) and soft foods (soups, eggs, yogurt, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, puddings, and ice cream) are suggested along with a daily vitamin.
2. Eat a good dinner the evening before your appointment, but avoid spicy foods. Plan to be well rested the morning of your surgery. Starting EIGHT HOURS before your appointment, nothing to eat or drink, INCLUDING WATER, if you are going to receive I.V. medication.
3. Wear loose, comfortable clothing-short sleeves are the best and as little jewelry and make-up as possible. NO CONTACT LENSES!
4. Plan to rest for the remainder of the day following your surgery. SOMEONE MUST ACCOMPANY YOU HOME- (a cab driver does not qualify.) Driving is not advisable for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.